Hello ladies, welcome back, today I’m spilling all my hair beauty secrets! Ha just kidding I don’t really have hair secrets but I’m sharing how I take care of my hair and what products I use.
I have very curly/waivy hair and it’s a bit on the frizzy side. It’s also very dry because of my texture and because I style it with heat every single day. I color and cut my hair about twice a year and try to maintain it with hair treatments, purple shampoo, serums and a cut every 6 months.
I love the natural highlights look and effortless waves. My hair inspiration has always been my favorite blogger, Julia Engel (can we pause for a sec…I am completely obsessed with Julia. She is hair and wardrobe goals.)
I try to take care of my hair by drinking lots of water and keeping a healthy diet. I think my biggest hair secret is…I only wash my hair ONCE a week. Yup. You might think that is gross but washing my hair more than that makes it so dry. I use my favorite dry shampoo a couple of times a week to help with the oil.
Wash Day Routine
- I usually wash my hair on Sunday nights. I wash it with purple shampoo with lukewarm water (not too cold but a comfortable temperature). The purple shampoo is a toner to remove any ashy tones from blonde hair. Even though my hair is mostly dark, I find that it brings to life the blonde in my hair. I love it because it kind of refreshes the color and makes it bright again. I leave it on my hair for about 3-5 minutes.
- Then I rinse out the purple shampoo and use my regular shampoo to cleanse it and then pour about a quarter size dollop of conditioner.
- About twice a month, I use a hair mask from the same brand of my shampoo and conditioner, and wow it makes such a difference! It’s very inexpensive and comes in a generous portion. It’s called the Nexxus Keraphix Damage Healing Treatment Masque. I use it in place of conditioner and leave it in my hair for a good 10 minutes while in the shower. Then I rinse it out completely with cool water.
- Once I pat my hair with a towel, I use about a nickel size portion of the Bumble & Bumble Bb Repair blow dry cream. It’s a heat protectant and does not leave a heavy residue or anything, which is why I love it. Then I use about a nickel size of this olive oil glossing polish. I like to use this to help with the frizz.
- I don’t ever blow dry my hair. I like to let it air dry over night and then style it in the morning. I don’t blow dry it because I don’t know how to get it super smooth. My hair is very curly so it needs a bit more heat to tame it.
- In the morning, I start with my hot tools. A straightening iron and a wand. I add the olive oil gloss as needed for that healthy shine once I am done styling it.
What I Ask My Hairstylist
I’ve been going to my friend Michael at Hair Revival Studio for over 6 years now! He is the best. He is expensive, but when you’re good at your job you can charge whatever you want.
For color, I always show him a picture of Julia’s hair for inspiration. Before I used to like it really blonde but now I prefer for it to look more natural. He does a balayage technique with hand painting strokes to achieve that “lived in color”. I ask him to start the color closer to the root because my hair grows so fast and I only get it colored twice a year. I also ask him to make the front streaks a little lighter to brighten up my face. At the end, he adds a toner to either lighten up the color or make it darker depending on how I’m feeling it.
For the cut this is what I ask for: I want my hair to be straight from the back (not in a v) but not the same length. I do not want layers. I want to remove some of the weight and add texture. In the front, I like face framing starting from the jaw line down (he usually does this with a blade). I like the ends to be really really choppy and not blunt. He then works his magic and I always love it! I hope that makes sense, lol.
Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions one these products! Let me know what products you use to keep your hair healthy in the comments, I’m always up for trying new hair products.